Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Introduction

This blog arose from two (initially distinct) desires. First, I wanted to have a forum for reviewing and discussing works of literature as I encounter them. Second, I wanted to have a place to write about one of my lesser passions, film and television. As it turns out, both of these are united by the same element: my love for stories. I am a Platonist -- broadly speaking, an idealist -- and I find meaning even in those stories considered literary and cinematic trash. I find it particularly valuable to remember the wise words of that great critic and restaurateur, Anton Ego (from Pixar's Ratatouille): "But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." To write, to direct, to imagine and let the story take over; these are the great challenges, an adventure fit for an artist painting on the canvas of human society with the subtle brush strokes of human nature. I am reminded of Jane Austen, describing her works as "the little bit (two inches wide) of ivory on which I work with so fine a brush, as produces little effect after much labour". Yet even such trinkets as she described have grown immortal.

My method is simple: I will summarize briefly, and comment on whatever part of the work caught my attention. There will almost certainly be spoilers, but I sometimes find it artificial to avoid giving details about a work when those very details are the basis for my analysis and review. You have been warned.

Other details regarding my tastes and beliefs, and attitudes towards life and art in general, may be gleaned from future posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment