Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Jane Austen: Pride and Prejudice

One of my co-bloggers has posted a literary review of Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" on her blog, Seeing Sepia. It's an opening salvo for a series of posts she'll be writing in response to my own.  We disagree vehemently on the merits of certain adaptations, so I can hardly wait.  This post, though, is insightful and delightful, and I'd highly recommend you check it out.  I've posted a brief excerpt below:

Jane Austen has the distinction of being a classic author who's exceptionally fun to read. This makes some critics dismissive of her merits, but I beg you not to sell her importance in the literary world short just because she only wrote romantic comedies. Her works both transcends that genre and in doing so becomes its canon to the point that most romances today are just different iterations of the plots she formed. To use a food analogy, if ordinary romantic comedies are like Dreyer's brand ice cream, full of artificial flavors and high-fructose corn syrup, then Jane Austen is two scoops of organic Sicilian lemon cheesecake gelato.
To finish reading her post, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment